Sunday, October 18, 2009

The Quilt Foundry



My first quilt: Ohio Star pattern baby quilt

I've always wanted to learn how to quilt. I have made three quilts in the past, but had only done the surface piecing; I sent the quilts out to local Amish women to have the layers quilted and the binding put on. So I was thrilled to find the Quilt Foundry in Maumee, a quilt supply shop with an extensive list of classes where I signed up for "Quilting 101" and learned how to assemble a quilt from start to finish.

My teacher was Mary, one of the four women who founded the Quilt Foundry and, who I discovered, worked for years organizing the annual Black Swamp Quilt Benefit Bazaar, and worked collaboratively on many quilts that at auction brought in thousands of dollars each. This annual quilt auction raises funds for the Sunshine Foundation, which is a local residential and day program for the developmentally disabled. 

Mary was very patient with me and the other beginners in my class. I learned a bit about using those intimidating roller cutters and plastic pattern grids, as well as learned machine and hand quilting and--my biggest fear overcome!--how to put on the binding. Now I am just waiting to sign up for "Quilting 102" !!

Northwest Ohio has a wealth of craft organizations, many of whom craft for charity. I invite you to check out these web site:

www.quiltfoundry.com
www.blackswampbenefit.org
www.sunshinefnd.org


No comments:

Post a Comment