Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Of Oranges and Art






Here's why we have women's crafts circles! Not only has our little crafts group at the hospital been a wonderful way to become proficient in a variety of crafts for charity  (we've "scrapbooked", beaded, made dolls and crocheted together) but it assures us that, at least once a month, we'll reconnect with and support one another. With everyone's lives as busy as they are, the promise of several hours of self care, relaxation and meeting with friends monthly is something to cherish.

Remember how sorry I was feeling for myself last week, missing my food gleaming and foraging days up north? These wonderful women have come to my assistance. Holly Dodson has found a lovely u-pick farm down in Bradenton that she's given me directions to, where this past weekend she picked two grocery bags full of fresh produce for twenty dollars. (I'll be heading to the farm in Bradenton, as well as posting pictures and directions how to get there, shortly!) And Carol Mitchell gave me the fresh oranges you see above, which came off her orange tree, so I can make home made marmalade for my Irish husband, who simply couldn't get through the day without his toast and marmalade each morning. 

Carol also graciously invited us over to pick oranges and grapefruit off her trees, which are producing far more than she and her family can consume. You can bet we'll be there.  I'm still working on some ways we can get our hands on so many of those oranges and grapefruit that go uneaten from people's front lawn fruit trees down here; I'll keep you posted. But in the interim,  see how good "charity crafting" can be for the heart? I know my heart--and spirit--are better with the help and friendship of  wonderful women like these...

No comments:

Post a Comment