Sunday, November 30, 2008

Do One Thing, and Do It Well

This is my I.D. badge chain for the hospital where I work, made with recycled paper beads rolled by HIV+ women from Uganda, who are affiliated with the not-for-profit bead for Life. The badge chain was made by Holly Dodson, one of the pharmacists at the hospital who is also an avid crafter. (Holly paints and makes beautiful jewelry in her spare time; check her out at www.lefthandedlibra.com ) Holly has made several dozen of these badge chains at this point, all of them out of Bead for Life beads, and all of them for hospital employees and their friends and family members. She just got the idea one day, looking at the packets of loose beads that Bead for Life sells, that she could use the beads to create I.D. badge chains, and before you knew it, everyone wanted one of her necklaces to clip their I.D. badges on to. Not only are they beautiful and useful, but they remind everyone wearing them that they've contributed directly to helping poor women in Uganda have a better life...

This is really just a small thing, but then again, there are no small things in this life when it comes to helping others. Holly chose and focused on one way to help these women, and she has been able to contribute hundreds of dollars to Bead for Life, through buying the beads and then selling the badge chains  to her fellow employees. When I wear my I.D. badge chain, I'm reminded that I don't have to do a bazillion things to make a difference. It's OK to do just one thing, and to do it well.

No comments:

Post a Comment