Saturday, April 11, 2009

Soporopo


I have received my very own "soporopo", compliments of Marcela Andrades Alfaro of the craft group "Minerva's Circle" up in Gainesville, Florida. Prior to receiving my "soporopo" all I knew was that Marcela was giving away five of these precious little stuffed critters to friends who responded to her Facebook query for five crafters offering a home to one of these little guys. What I didn't realize is what a significant little treasure was heading my way...

Marcela's handwritten note to me says " 'Specially made for Karen, "the man of time" to remind us that life is short, enjoy your time with friends and family." Yet "the man of time"comes with another message--his "history" of sorts. (I will now quote the little card that arrived with him directly.)

"Soporopo History: Santiago Chile, 1974 During the Dictatorship of Pinochet (1973-1989). This soporopo is made by hand with love and is a replica of the dolls that my mother used to make in prison as a political prisoner in 1974. I am replicating this doll in her honor and many others and in all sizes, but the originals were 4 inches tall, they were very tiny and cute were made by hand using the personal clothing of the detainees in the prison. They made these funny looking dolls, always smiling with short arms to give them to family members in the weekly visits.  This doll was used for years to get information from the political prisoner in the concentration camps in Chile. Inside the doll were names of missing people that were detained and killed, maps, officers in charge, tactics, houses, etc. The names were written on scrap fabric used to stuff the dolls and were taken to (Catholic churches who then took them) to the Commission of Human Rights in OAS (Organization of American States) Oh beautiful soporopo army marching to the church to tell their secrets to the priest...they are a symbol of love, and how women working together can help with ingenious ways to save the lives of others. Soporopos were salvation and brought hope that justice would come one day. Made with love by Marci remembering my mom Eva Alfaro Holbrook."

Needless to say, by the end of reading this card, I was in tears. Thank you, Marcela, for honoring me with this treasure and legacy of the brave women of Chile. This little soporopo will be placed in a special corner of my home and my heart.

Check out Minerva's Circle at  http://minervascircle.blogspot.com to be truly inspired by their fabulous projects.

1 comment:

  1. Wow!! Thanks!! is such an honor that you made this post for my soporopo!
    love marci

    ReplyDelete